Are you heading to the States for a World Cup match? You may have just saved yourself $15,000.
In a surprising decision, the Trump administration has officially said it will waive the controversial “visa bond” requirement for international fans coming to the U.S. for the tournament. Even with a ticket in hand, travellers from some “high-risk” countries would have to pay giant sums upfront just to get across the border.
Who Profits from the Waiver?
The initial goal of the bond requirement was 50 countries with high visa-overstay rates. Of those, the biggest relief will come from fans in five World Cup-qualifying nations:
Algeria
Cabo Verde Côte d’Ivoire
Senegalese
Tunisia
Qualifying for the Waiver
It’s not a free pass for everyone. Fans must meet these two conditions to avoid the $5,000 to $15,000 bond:
I have got a confirmed ticket for the World Cup.
Players can also choose to join the FIFA Pass system, which allows for faster visa appointments (available April 15).
“We are trying to host the biggest and best FIFA World Cup in history,” said assistant secretary of state Mora Namdar, and this policy shift is an important step toward that.
The Change of Heart: Why?
The administration has been hardline on immigration, but the reality of the World Cup, co-hosted by the US, Canada and Mexico, requires a more open-door approach. Hotel groups and advocacy groups had previously warned that high fees and visa hurdles were “significantly suppressing” international demand.
The government hopes to remove these financial barriers for fans to boost attendance and ease the travel burden on the thousands of supporters expected to arrive ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
What It Means For You
If you’ve been holding off booking your flight because of the possible $15,000 “security deposit,” the path is much clearer now. Using the official FIFA Pass system means you can focus on the game and not the paperwork.
